Common Security Floors UPVC & Composite Doors
Lock snapping is a method used by burglars which involves snapping a cylinder, this allows them to gain entry access very easily and quickly to your property. Other security measures that are in place such as shoot bolts, deadbolts, roller keeps and anti lift bars are made useless because once the lock cylinder is snapped and removed from your door the burglar can access the locking system using a screwdriver.
West Yorkshire Police have recently confirmed that 25% of burglaries and break ins they’ve come across have occurred using the lock snapping technique.
Are your locks at risk?
The locks which are at risk are call Euro Cylinder profiles, and locks which extend beyond 5mm of the handle. The further the lock cylinder protrudes from the door the easier it is for the burglar to grip and snap the lock, but even if the lock cylinder doesn’t protrude from the handle it still isn’t immune to tampering.
Euro Cylinders are found in UPVC and composite doors, there are different types – single cylinders, double cylinders, double cylinders with thumb turn.
Fitting Anti Snap Locks
These are locks that are of a TS007 3 star quality (also known as anti snap cylinders) These are locks that meet the requirements to withstand lock snapping attempts.
The brand of 3 star locks that I fit are the Brisant Ultion
- British Standard
I can also fit as extra security
Pro Secure Handles
These are handles which add more security to door locks by having
- solid cast steel body which makes attacks more difficult
- Handle design covers the cylinder to eliminate lock snapping / bumping
- Secure by Design Police logo on handle which acts as a visual deterrent
Lock Lock Handles
These are a type of handles which add more security to the door by having
- lock block which stops the spindle turning, if the spindle doesn’t turn, the door doesn’t open.
- A stylish curved finish, which means it’s tough to grip, stops the intruder using mole grips to snap the handle
- nearly 4mm thick walls, Lock Lock’s walls are twice as thick as conventional handles.
These are extra bolts which can be fitted to UPVC doors to add as extra security.